- [5/28/08] You may pick up a copy of your final from Angie in 784 Soda. Any other unreturned homework may be picked up from Michael in 545 Soda.
- [5/22/08] All grades, including project 8 and the final exam, are now available on glookup.
- [5/20/08] Final Exam Solutions have been posted.
- [5/14/08] Review Sessions: Friday 6-9pm 310 Soda (Michael), Saturday 3-6pm 310 Soda (Ryan)
Some previous exams are linked below to help you prepare for the final. The final is comprehensive and will cover all material discussed this semester.
-      Fall 06 Final
-      Fall 06 Midterm 1, (solutions)
-      Spring 06 midterm, (solutions)
-      Spring 06 practice midterm, (solutions)
-      Spring 06 final
-      Spring 06 practice final, (solutions)
- [5/9/08] Final Exam "Cheat" Sheet Policy: You may bring a two-sided 8.5x11 sheet of paper with notes to the final (or two one-sided sheets). Bring a calculator to the final.
- [5/8/08] Homework 7 grades are now available on glookup. You can pick up your graded homework in section tomorrow or during office hours or review sessions next week.
- [5/5/08] Project 8 extended to be due Thursday 5/8 at 11:59pm.
- [4/30/08] Homework 7 solutions posted.
- [4/28/08] Project 8 extended to be due Tuesday 5/6 at 11:59pm.
- [4/24/08] Project 8: Face Detection and Digit Classification has been posted due Friday 5/2 at 11:59pm.
- [4/23/08] Grades for project 5 are in glookup. Please see newsgroup message for details on grading.
- [4/22/08] Solutions for projects 5 and 6 (Reinforcement Learning and Neural Networks) been posted on the projects page. You may want to take a look at the solution code for the Monte Carlo ES and Q-learning algorithms if you had difficulty with the project. Grades for project 5 will be posted on glookup tomorrow (Wednesday).
- [4/20/08] Ryan's office hours have been cancelled for Monday. If you would like to schedule an appointment later this week, please send him an email at email@example.com
- [4/17/08] Homework 7: Search and Classification has been posted due 4/24 in class.
- [4/14/08] Homework 6 EXTENSION: Neural Networks has been extended to be due 4/17 at
- [4/9/08] Homework 6: Neural Networks has been posted due 4/15 at 11:59pm
- [4/3/08] Midterm solutions posted. See the project page.
- [3/23/08] We will accept late submissions for Project 5 up until Tuesday 4/1 11:59pm. However, there will be a 20% late penalty. Using two of your extension days makes today (3/23) at 11:59pm the last chance to submit without incurring the late penalty
- [3/22/08] Please be sure to submit your code for Project 5, even if its not working. We will read it to give partial credit. Also note you're welcome to apply up to two of your late days to Project 5.
- [3/21/08] Please see the newsgroup for clarifications on Monte Carlo ES, project 5 grading.
- [3/20/08] There will be no section this week (3/20 & 3/21).
- [3/13/08] Homework 5 due date extended to 3/21 at 11:59pm
- [3/13/08] The midterm will cover lecture material through 3/13
- [3/13/08] There will be a second review session led by Michael next week on Wednesday 3/19 from 6-9PM at (310 Soda).
- [3/10/08] There will be a review session led by Ryan this week on Wednesday from 6-9PM at (310 Soda).
- [3/10/08] Homework 5: Reinforcement Learning has been posted due 3/18 at 11:59pm
- [3/10/08] Homework 4 solutions posted.
- [3/05/08] The midterm will be Thursday March 20.
- [3/04/08] The reading for this week is chapters 3 and 4 of Reinforcement Learning by Sutton and Barto. The book is available online.
- [3/03/08] Homework 4 due date extended to Thursday 3/6 (due in class).
- [2/29/08] No submissions will be accepted after Monday (3/3/08) at 12:00am, the autograder will no longer respond to emails regard p3.
- [2/29/08] Since many people had trouble with the programming assignment (p3), you may use an extra late day on it if you'd like to make corrections and resubmit. In addition, we will be lenient in deducting points (approx 10% off) for late work provided it is submitted this weekend.
- [2/26/08] Homework 4: Utility and Decisions has been posted due 3/4 in class
- [2/25/08] Updated office hours this week: Monday 4-6pm in 246 Cory and Tuesday 5-7pm in 246 Cory. We've moved office hours since the programming assignment is due Tuesday 11:59pm. There will not be Wednesday office hours this week.
- [2/23/08] Please DOWNLOAD the UPDATED version of hmm.py, your code will not pass the sanity checker without this.
- [2/21/08] Sample output for the test cases provided with homework 3 has been added to the homework 3 webpage.
- [2/19/08] Homework 3: HMM Programming Project has been posted due 2/26 11:59pm
- [2/19/08] The Disabled Students' Program (DSP) is looking for a note-taker for this class. This is a good opportunity to assist a fellow student and receive pay.
You can fill out an application at dsp.berkeley.edu or at the DSP Office, 260 Cesar Chavez right beside the Golden Bear Cafe.
Contact dspnotes at berkeley dot edu with any questions.
- [2/17/08] Ryan has moved his office hours for this week to Monday at 4pm-6pm in 5th floor lounge in Cory. Starting next week, his office hours will be on Monday from 4-6pm in 246 Cory to accomodate
homework questions before the due date.
- [2/15/08] Please see the newsgroup post about errors in the solutions included with the HMM Tutorial.
- [2/14/08] Correction made to homework 2: P(H=v|C=~c) should be 0.50 (not 0.40). The online version has been updated to reflect this change.
- [2/12/08] The Battleship Project Part 2 has been posted due 2/19 at the start of class. Please submit a hard copy in class (no electronic submissions).
- [2/5/08] Office hours for Michael updated (Wednesday 2-4pm, 551 Soda).
- [1/31/08] The Battleship Project Part 1 has been posted due 2/7. [Update: You may also hand in the homework in class on Thursday. If submitting electronically, use: submit p1]
- [1/31/08] Starting next week (Feb 5) class will be held in 306 Soda instead of 145 Dwinelle.
- [1/29/08] For some extra practice in understanding the applicability of the lecture material to future topics, you may look at this handout here,
containing a probability reference sheet and some derivations of the probability distribution for the Naive Bayes classifier and Hidden Markov Models.
- [1/29/08] The section times on the course info page have been corrected (Ryan's sections are on Thursday, not Tuesday).
- [1/29/08] The deadline for the Python tutorial has been extended to 1/31. You should receive a confirmation e-mail.
- [1/22/08] The python tutorial has been posted. Before doing the tutorial, have a look at the instructions for submitting assignments.
- [1/22/08] Waitlist: as of now, everyone in the waitlist should be admitted.
- [1/22/08] We are trying to reserve a lab on Friday for the Python tutorial, January 25th from 10am-3pm, in Soda 273. You can arrive and leave as you like; the tutorial should only take an hour or two. You must complete the tutorial, but you may complete it at home if you choose.
- [1/22/08] Welcome to CS188! Check back for updates in the next few weeks.