- Welcome to CS252!
- Reading 1 is up. It is due on Tuesday, September 18.
- Homework 1 and Reading 2 are up. They are due on Tuesday, September 25.
- Reading 3 is up. It is due on Tuesday, October 2.
- Homework 2 and Reading 4 are up. They are due on Tuesday, October 9.
- Reading 5 is up. It is due on Tuesday, October 16.
- The practice midterm is up. You should sign up this week for the midterm review conference call, which will be on Wednesday, October 17, at 10 AM pacific time. The midterm will be distributed to proctors on Monday, October 22.
- Homework 3 and Reading 6 are up. They are due on Tuesday, November 6.
- Reading 7 is up. It is due on Tuesday, November 13.
- Homework 4 is up. It is due on Tuesday, November 20.
- Homework 5 is up. It is due on Tuesday, December 4.
Course Consultant:Joe Gebis
Class Email List:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use this address for asking questions that will be of interest to everyone.
Textbook:Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach (4th Ed.) by J. Hennessy and D. Patterson, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers
Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface (3rd Ed.) by D. Patterson and J. Hennessy, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers
205 McLaughlin Hall
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720
Web page: www.coe.berkeley.edu/calview
This course focuses on the techniques of quantitative analysis and evaluation of modern computing systems, such as the selection of appropriate benchmarks to reveal and compare the performance of alternative design choices in system design. The emphasis is on the major component subsystems of high performance computers: pipelining, instruction level parallelism, memory hierarchies, input/output, and network-oriented interconnections.
Equivalents to Berkeley CS152. Familiarity with basic computer system design (instruction set, computer arithmetic, controller and datapath design, memory system, etc.). Design experience using hardware description languages (HDL) is helpful.